Good article here from Dr. Halamka and I couldn’t agree more.  As software is evolving the learning curve for all of us is rising, sure as a developer we get all excited that now we have improved the process and it can do so much more, but what about the end user.  Sure, I went through that and as Healthcare has evolved to Health 2.0, we are again learning once more, this time moving from the desktop to the web with many applications. I get people asking me questions all the time on “how do you do this” on software that I have never seen nor used and they want a 30 answer, and if I haven’t seen it, how can I respond, and then I get the look of frustration from the end user wondering why I can’t be the IT help person in 60 seconds. 

We do need simple systems and standards whereby we can all participate and help in an expedited fashion.  Speaking for myself here, it ends up being frustrating from my end too and then I feel a certain level of not being helpful as well, but the KISS system needs an overhaul today with computers and IT, as even the folks on the other end are feeling it too.  I’m going to throw in a bit of humor here to hopefully explains the scenario, this is why you end up with “tech support” folks like the guy  in the video here.  I like the word “Move”, and I think anyone in support will chuckle and find a little bit of this guy in all of us who are in support.  Great video and enjoy the laughs!  BD 

"Fools ignore complexity. Pragmatists suffer it. Geniuses remove it."
Alan Perlis (Creator of ALGOL, one of the first programming languages)
Whenever I purchase something for myself or my home, I always think about the complexity that the purchase will add to my life. Adding more stuff to my life can lead to short term gratification, but it also can lead to long term maintenance headaches.
The same can be said of information technology.


http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/2008/10/removing-complexity.html

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative