This is a recent post on You Tube showing the Sahara i44D tablet from Tablet Kiosk in use with Windows Vista and a couple interesting graphics programs.  I tried to show the responsiveness and quality on how the tablet responds.  Being able to switch back and forth between touch and using the stylus digitizer is really a huge plus.  When working with graphics programs, I prefer using the digitizer and when doing research on the Internet, the touch screen really fits the bill. 

As I mention in the video, the dictation was really put through the ringer for a test, as I wanted to make sure I really had a less than perfect surrounding to give it a full test.  The voice commands that work with Vista are great.  At the end of the film you can see some of this being demonstrated when closing the document.  I have also used Vista voice dictation a bit when surfing the web too, and it makes for a new type of browsing experience, again, not having to use the touch screen as much and it navigates well.  You can even tell the voice command window to "move itself" out of the way if needed.  To begin using dictation, you can have it open and simply state "start listening".  As far as resources for dictation, I didn't find that Vista dictation required any more or any less than some of the other software that is available.  I did very little training here, just the basic to open and get the program going, and I was surprised at how it already picks up some of the medical terminology. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm_vFZ_DwxA&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fducknetweb%2Eblogspot%2Ecom%2F2007%2F08%2Fsahara%2Dtablet%2Dpc%2Dgraphics%2Dand%2Ddictation%2Ehtml

I have been using tablets for years and for this demo I wanted to focus on some of the other areas besides the "tip" input method, which I also use all the time.  The array microphone on the unit works great and you can hear some back ground music if you pay attention on the video, again done on purpose to put the unit to the test.    I am using it now with Outlook as well to do some emails when on the run.  It is pretty amazing that you can totally voice control composing and sending an email without even having to use the pen at all! 

I also have the "customized" buttons on the unit set up to open Outlook, the web and One Note.  Every tablet user should give some serious thought to One Note too.  The Sahara tablet makes working with One Note a real breeze, and yes you can use some dictation features there too. 

I use my Blue Tooth cell phone with the unit for an Internet connection when needed by tethering so my phone with the wireless data feature (which I pay for each month) to connect me to the web when I am in an area where a hot spot connection is not available.  I don't need long and frequent connections usually when I am in the field, so the tethering with the cell phone works well for me.  The Blue tooth software that comes with the unit does a great job and I can use a hardware button to turn Blue tooth off and on as needed.

ANYONE NEEDING OR WANTING MOBILITY CAN USE A TABLET AND WITH THE FEATURE RICH SAHARA I44D, MOBILITY IS NOT ONLY SIMPLE, BUT SOMETHING ANYONE CAN USE AND ENJOY, SO WHY RESTRICT YOURSELF TO USING A DESKTOP ONLY, AS THIS UNIT CAN PRETTY MUCH DO EVERYTHING YOU NEED and then some.

ADD A DOCKING STATION AND IT CAN BE YOUR DESKTOP, BY CONNECTING A LARGE DISPLAY AND PERHAPS A NORMAL SIZE KEYBOARD FOR TIMES WHEN YOU ARE AT YOUR DESK!   When you need to be mobile, simply remove the unit and take it with you!  Nobody will be using your tablet while you are away either! 

On several occasions I have used tablets to create a "sign in" sheet for attendance at events.  We did this at one of the road shows from Tablet Kiosk as well, and I have also used the tablet features to capture signatures of attendees when I have been conducting training events for Intel, by creating a template with Windows Journal and simply walk around and have all sign the "Intel" sign in sheet, so we have a "paperless records" that can easily be printed and reproduced at any time.  This sure beats dragging paper around to do the same thing!  The Core Duo processor from Intel really make this unit rock. 

Need a life....get this tablet and explore the possibilities! 

Barbara Duck, Ducknet Services

Additional Resources and Links: (also search the site for additional recent Sahara Tablet posts)

TabletPC2 Review            Engadget        Tablet PC Review      SlipperyBrick

 

0 comments :

Post a Comment

 
Top
Google Analytics Alternative